Tulips are edible -- or, parts of them are. The petals have a mild taste like lettuce or cucumber. To eat the bulb it is important to remove the skins and the inner flower bud. Some people are allergic to simply handling the bulb; so ingesting them would certainly be a bad idea. A quick look found a few recipes that use (pesticide free) tulip petals as dessert cups, appetizers and for tulip wine.
During WW2 some people in the Netherlands were forced to eat tulip bulbs, especially in the German occupied North during the Hongerwinter (Winter 1944/1945). As many as 30,000 Dutch people are believed to have perished from malnutrition or exposure. Many also died from toxic poisoning induced by eating tulip bulbs. This was a dark and terrible time of war and you can read a personal account of eating tulips at Green Deane’s Eat the Weeds.
Are squirrels, deer, gophers, and moles eating your tulip bulbs? Try planting the bulbs in wire cages that protect them from all sides. Make the cages bigger than they have to be, and place the bulbs in the center, surrounded by dirt, so they can’t be gnawed from the outside. Or surround the bulbs with lots of small sharp stones to scrape on tender noses and toes. For added insurance, spray some deer repellant or castor oil based product to repel hungry creatures—or spread cayenne powder or crushed hot pepper flakes on top of the soil to disguise the tempting scent of the bulbs planted below.